This recipe makes enough chicken for three tortilla’s worth of nachos, or three servings.
- 400g boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2-4, depending on the size)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp smoke paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Neutral flavoured oil, to coat the bottom of the pan
- Combine the spices and mix. Pound out the chicken breasts so they are of even thickness, or alternatively filet them. Salt the chicken and coat it in the spices, making sure to rub them in all over the chicken.
- If using thicker pieces of chicken, preheat the oven to 425F. Preheat a heavy pan over medium high heat. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan, when begging to show signs of smoke add the chicken. Allow to cook until the spices are blackened, about 5-10 minutes. Flip, and repeat on the the other side. If the chicken is not cooked through, finish it off in the oven until it hits an internal temperature of 155F.
- Let the chicken cool, and shred.
To cook the tortillas:
Preheat the oven to 350F with a pizza stone or baking sheet inside. Quarter the tortillas and toss them right on the stone or sheet. Cook until browned on the bottom, flip and let them bake until they are golden brown and crispy. The amount of time this takes varies by oven and the thickness of tortillas you use.
Assembly is straightforward. Simply layer the tortillas with the chicken, a sauce of your choosing and salsa, I like to use a chipotle aioli and pico de gallo, and then optionally, cheese!
For a full write up, take a look here.